Author Topic: Argosheen  (Read 3483 times)

Offline RichG

Argosheen
« on: June 21, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »
Back in 2001 when I started padding I used Argosheen. Several years later when encap products started coming out and more and more environmentally cleaning agents started to be produced Argo seemed to be harder to get. I finally found a place that distributes Argo.

Being that Argo is a solvent based product it seemed to work very well on most of my carpets. I've never had an issue with coughing or sneezing and neither have any of my clients. I'm curious to know if any of you who have used Argo and liked the product have found a comparable encapsulation cleaning agent?

Offline Bonnet Pro

• Clean more by 10:00am than others clean all day
Re: Argosheen
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »
It was my understanding they they went out of business. If that is true and I believe it is, how old is the stock you are purchasing. Maybe Mike can weigh in on this.

Offline Mike M

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »
Argosheen has ceased doing business but did license their product to a company that is distributing it.

http://www.hyko.com/Argosheen%20page.htm

Argo still has a website http://www.argoco.com/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:04:10 PM by Mike M »

Offline RichG

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:17:43 PM »
Tri Us Janitorial supply distributes Argo. What happened (what was told to me) is that the man who owned it died and his wife is old and doesn't want to deal with the business personally. She has someone else mix the product and then has a distributor to sell it. Batches are new. I just hope that she does sell the recipe so that we can still get the product if something were to happen to her. From what I understand she is a sweet old lady!

Offline Ray Branch

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 12:11:44 AM »
Is Argosheen an encapsulation product?

Offline John Geurkink

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »
No Ray, it is a stoddard solvent based cleaning product.

Offline RichG

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »
Ray, like John said it is not but... It is an awesome cleaner. I haven't found an encapsulation cleaner that works as good.

I just find it funny that no one has answered my question. I was looking for an encapsulation cleaner that works like Argo. Peroxcellent works well but after a couple weeks it lumps up and looks like cottage cheese inside the bottle. VacAway sent me a replacement bottle and the same thing happened. I was very grateful for the replacement but being that I'm a PT CC the shelf life was way too short for my liking.

The funny thing is that everybody says that Argo creates health issues but I never had that problem. Even better for years it was safe around children and pets and all of the sudden when these manufactures come out with a new product of their own it's suddenly bad for you. I don't get it.

I like to use what really works not what's popular. If I have to use a 'green' product I will use a different cleaning agent. Please know, that I'm not bashing any ones product but I like to use what works for me!

Offline RichG

Re: Argosheen/Picture
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
This is one of my favorite pics. This was done with the old CCS. John G's original OP machine. I didn't need a $20,000 truck mount or a 3 or 4 thousand dollar OP machine. Just a standard OP and some good cleaning agent. Yes, it may take a little more time with a ordinary OP machine but I'm fine with that!

Offline Ray Branch

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 11:05:14 PM »
That's an awesome pic Rich!

Offline ChemBright

• Certified by Customer Satisfaction!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 01:56:18 AM »
This is one of my favorite pics. This was done with the old CCS. John G's original OP machine. I didn't need a $20,000 truck mount or a 3 or 4 thousand dollar OP machine. Just a standard OP and some good cleaning agent. Yes, it may take a little more time with a ordinary OP machine but I'm fine with that!

But, but........that's just not doable without the 20K investment. I think the photo is chopped! :)

Awesome results man!!

Offline micky navarro

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:19:06 AM »

in my short run of commercial carpet cleaning back in the late '70's, me and an old friend, holly the bonnet man, used argo with mercury floor machines. no issues that i recall with headaches or breathing, and always had very good results!

Offline RichG

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »
Thanks Ray. Jon, your right. The photo is a fake, lol. I spent the $20,000 on the software to chop the photo. On a serious note I have no doubt that anyone with a TM could get these results but I myself was impressed with the results since padding was new to me back then. This carpet was left in Mavis Tire in the shop for two days then left in the rain for another two days. Then left to dry outside.

Offline cleancorp

• Newbie2
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »
HI RichG. After seeing your pic and the price of argosheen I ordered some. However for heavily soiled carpets it says to mix at 1:3 which is around 42 oz. per gallon and normal wear is 1:7 which is around 18 oz. per gallon. Not very cost effective.Good encap is only about 4 to 8 oz per gallon. What did you dilute yours at and can it be presprayed like we do with encap? Maybe it would be best be used a spotter. Not sure. Looking forward to your comments.

Offline RichG

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »
Cleancorp,
This what I used.
32oz. per gallon of Argo.

Typically when I clean carpet I use 15 to 20oz. per gallon on light to medium soiled carpet. Yes your absolutely correct when you say it's not as cost effective as encapsulation products but I'm more for what works. 3 weeks ago I had a Berber carpet that I encaped. This client called me that night and asked me to redo it. I then ordered more Argo and let me tell you the difference when I re-cleaned it last week. With half the effort as well. I used 20oz. to the gallon and 2oz. of Matrix Linen Fresh sent.

I apply it the same way as any encap agent. Wet the pad and squeeze the pad so the excess water comes out (don't wring the pad). Cotton or Glad pads are best. Basically OP they way you normally would.

Rich

Offline RichG

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 09:48:38 PM »
Cleancorp, If you would like to call me send me your phone # to rngallina@gmail.com.

Offline cleancorp

• Newbie2
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 01:09:07 AM »
How much dwell time with argo? What did you clean the berber with first? I have always found berber cleans up the easiest.

Offline RichG

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
No dwell time is really needed. I usually treat one room at a time so by the time I'm done spraying the dwell time is about 5 minutes depending on the size of the room.

Offline cleancorp

• Newbie2
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
Used Argo today @ 20 oz. per gallon on a carpet I cleaned about a month ago with surround ultra. The Argo blew surround away as far as cleaning and it dried softer and plusher and looked much brighter. I just wish it was more cost effective. If only they could make it in concentrate.

Offline Burtonblue75

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 09:13:31 AM »
I see its 10% solvent, and my question is why in the heck are u using so much per gallon, at 4oz per gallon shouldd do the trick. Did u also use 20oz of surround?
U might as well use 16oz of la tottaly awesome, and 8oz of ammonia

Offline Mike M

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »
I do believe that is the recommended dilution for Argosheen?

Offline RichG

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »
It's recommended up to 32oz. for heavily soiled carpet but for me that would have to be 'heavily soiled' to use that much. This stuff really works well though!

Offline cleancorp

• Newbie2
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 12:49:25 AM »
Hey Burtonblue. Yes the recommended dilution is 15 to 20 oz for normal and up to 32 oz for trashed out carpet. As far as surround ultra I usually use 6 oz. per gallon and boost it with surround bright all. I do believe argosheen still beat it.

Offline Bonnet Pro

• Clean more by 10:00am than others clean all day
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »
Ultra is 4 to 8 ounces per gallon. At 6 ounces per gallon it would be considered a medium strength mix. 8 ounces is over 30% stronger than 6 ounces and you can go 10 if really needed. 8 per gallon with Bright All would have served you better. That may be a more economical choice for you in the future not to mention the cost of the deodorizer you added.
To be fair, I wonder what would have happened if the second cleaning was also done with Surround? Maybe we loosened the lid.

Just curious, what does Argo cost RTU at 20 ounces per gallon?

Offline Ray Branch

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 03:21:41 AM »
How safe is argosheen? The msds looks ok, but when you check out stoddard solvent, it doesn't look so good. Thought I might try a gallon but was concerned for the grandkids, dogs and birds.  (I have 3 parrots).

Offline micky navarro

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 06:20:09 AM »

ray, in my short run doing commercial, we had a carpeted pet store and encountered no problems of any kind!

fyi........the pet store didnt sell birds of any kind though!!!

Tags:

Advertise Here