Author Topic: Laminator Plus and Comparable Products  (Read 6602 times)

Offline CACBServices

Laminator Plus and Comparable Products
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:07:44 AM »
I was asked by a customer to do a little research on his Bruce (not Spruce) hard wood floor that has been finished with Bruce's Dressing Solvent Type Buffing Wax. I think this article relates well to the newer non-sanding top re-coat products like LP and others. Helped me see just when to, and when not to, use these products.

http://www.woodfloordoctor.com/_how_tos/articles/cleanpt1.shtml

Advertise Here

Offline Jim England

Re: Laminator Plus and Comparable Products
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Generally speaking at least from our point of view using LamanatorPlus, it should not be used on wood floors that have no finish left or that are warped, severally worn, or damaged.  I am speaking about wood floors only right now. We have done wood floors that really should have been sanded and polyed, but the customer didn't want to pay for that, so we said no guarantees, but they came out pretty good and the customers were happy.  Any pre finished engineered real wood floor or polyurethane finished wood floor that is getting ware spots, scuff marks,  scratch marks, dull finish, or drab looking are perfect candidates for lamanatorPlus.  All laminate, cork, bamboo, or other engineered flooring is also perfect candidates for LamanatorPlus.  It also works great on slate floors, and many stone floors.  Also VCT (after any wax has been removed), and linoleum floors.   

We have had literally hundreds of people that have contacted us about how bad their laminate floors look after applying Bona Kemi, Orange Glow, Mop and Glow, wax, as well as others.  They just don't work on Laminate type floors.  I think part of the problem is the aluminum oxide coating that is on the laminate type floors.  It either doesn't adhere properly or has some kind of reaction to it as most people complain the floor looks cloudy and dull after they are applied.  We have (the factory) tested all these products including most of the non sanding wood finish products and found that they have a solids content between 5 and 12 percent.  LamanatorPlus has a 22 percent solids content.  The higher the solids contend the harder it is to apply evenly or blend when being touched up.  LamanatorPlus has formulated a patented process  which allows it to be easily applied as well as easily touched up days or months later. 

I know you didn't ask about this but I thought I would share it.
The most important step in using LamanatorPlus especially on laminate type floors is the initial cleaning using the deep scrub.  The reason is all laminate type floors have factory over spray on them.  It is not removed by general cleaning.  This over spray even though it may not be noticed attracts dirt and causes foot prints to show, which makes it harder to keep the floor looking good.  So the initial cleaning is extremely important.  Spritz on the deep scrub, mop it evenly over the floor, let it sit for about 2 or 3 minutes (if the floor has not had some other product put on it) then scrub, then rinse.  If the floor has Bona Kemi, Orange Glow or some other product on it let the deep scrub sit for 6 or 7 minutes, re-spray the deep scrub if necessary to keep the deep scrub from drying.  Then scrub the floor with the scrub pad.  Then rinse, it is important to rinse well after the cleaning.  Rinse at least two times, three is even better.  You will be amazed at the dirt that comes off on your pad on the second and third rinse.However, once the deep scrub cleaning is done you will never have to deep scrub that floor again.  Lets say a year or two later your customer wants their floors redone.  All you have to do is clean the floor with Buff Dry by spritzing it on and mopping it with a micro fiber bonnet or pad.  Then reapply the restoration.  Simple and quick! 

Offline ChemBright

• Certified by Customer Satisfaction!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
Good info Jim. I LOVE laminate floor cleaning!

Offline CACBServices

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:05:28 AM »
If I read the article correctly, one of the things I learned by the posted link is that a wood floor cared for with wax can be readily taken care of with wax. Once another film based top coat is used the option to care for the floor by wax is gone. Your only choice at that point is to continue with the new application unless you go to a full sand and recoat. If this is true I believe we should tell our customers that once we go down this path with them other film based care processes may not be an option.

Offline Jim England

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »
I agree.

Tags:

Advertise Here