Author Topic: Truckmount discussion  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Mike M

• Administrator
Truckmount discussion
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:09:02 AM »
I started this area to talk about truckmounted cleaning equipment. Equipment is usually a large purchase or operationg expense for most companies. I have noticed a lot of discussion on other boards about this topic and wanted to have a section here for it.

I have personally owned a Hydramaster 4.2, Steamway Powermatic, Prochem 405, Powerclean Genesis and Powerclean Patriot. I can tell you each machine had its pros and cons. I bought each one to fit our cleaning needs at the time. As you might tell I kept buying bigger machines because that was the growth area of our company. We were doing all large commercial work. I would be happy to give insight into these machines and others I have seen our used.

Advertise Here

Offline Ed Valentine

Truckmount discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 01:09:51 PM »
The term; "TRUCKMOUNT" and what that really applies to has always been used in a generic sense, IMHO.

What I specifically mean by this is that TRUCKMOUNT equipment comes in all sizes and shapes, and power, performance, AND means of power supply ----(GASOLINE or ELECTRIC or Hy-Brid--gas/electric combination)

It has always been interesting, AND somewhat hypecritial whenever board debates come down to the fact that --all--truckmounts are better; and all "electrics"--those machines that have wheel and are called; "Portables" , just can't measure up.

Yet, a few so called "Portables" (Yep, they still have 4-wheels, like the van its mounted in) are so powerful that they can also be run at 200 feet; use propane heat to heat that water to levels where the operator can not even hold onto the wand (I think that's hot enough?!).

Bottom line:  "T H E  R I G H T" high-performance machine that can be run from the van (either electric or gasoline powered) can and will do a very, very good job,---with the right operator----- period. Otherwise, we all would be required to purchase that $100,000 machine and drive semi-trucks through local neighborhoods.

Ones success is not based on how BIG his machine is; rather how BIG his reputation is or becomes, and the profits he takes home at the end of the day.

Good Fortune to all;
Ed Valentine
www.cross-american.com

Offline Mike M

• Administrator
Truckmount discussion
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:08:02 PM »
Ed - I think you have some very valid observations. When are the machines going to be big enough? How much vac, suction and heat is enough? I have seen a lot of newbies asking questions on the other boards about using live steam, 20" of vac, etc. I learned a long time ago that are practical limits to what we need to be using. The machine should be sized for the type of work you are doing. Anything more is overkill and a waste of money. Put the extra money into something else like retirement.

Here are a few variables to consider: Is the machine maintained, adjusted and running properly? All filters cleaned regularly? Proper operator training and wand technique? Chemicals and usage? How far from the vacuum source are you working?

I can tell you from experience what size blower will work at what distance and what size wand will work. A smaller system working closer to the vacuum source can have more usable suction and faster dry times then one using a bigger blower and longer hose runs. How can two operators using the same machine or model of machine get different results on the same carpet? I think you get the picture and it isn't black and white.

When we ran a large operation I had Rotary machines, portables, a small TM, a medium TM (2 wander) and a large multi wand machine. We used each one for a different purpose. No one of these machines would have worked for all accounts. Some had access issues, others noise and some security. One customer (a bank)  required a truckmount to be used even though we could only use one access door for the whole 70,000' building. They also required 35,000' cleaned during an 8 hour shift! We had to run 3 wands at 850' each in that building to do the second floor. Oh I forgot.... We had to carry our own water too.

I bought the multi wander for the bank which had special requirements. Would I use that machine to clean residential or upholstery? No way! Even though it could have done it. It isn't the right tool for the job. For residential I would use an electric or a gas machine with no bigger than a 4.7 blower. Any machine bigger would be overkill and a waste of money. If you like to waste money please send some to me. I could really use it!

There are too many variables to say flat out that one is better than another. Machines are tools. Pick the right tool for the job then learn how to use it properly.  

Ron

Truckmount discussion
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 02:15:10 AM »
People who have never owned a Vortex or an AeroTech have absolutely NO clue! They are the ONLY ones who have nothing constructive or positive to say about them. Especially, people who only mess with portables!

That's ok though...

Keep the ignorant ignorant.

I'll keep setting myself apart from you guys running Tinker-Toys!

See ya!

Offline Mike M

• Administrator
Truckmount discussion
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 09:25:27 AM »
Ron - I'm not sure what your point is. If someone doesn't own one of those machines they are less of a cleaner?  I'm not going to bash Vortex or Aerotech. They are great tools plain and simple and have their place like any tool.

I ran a machine "bigger and badder" than a Vortex or Aerotech. I know what a big machine can do. Are you talking big box for advertising? Yes we had that too and it works great.  There are very few cleaners who have used big equipment like this, the Vortex and Aerotech. It gives you another perspective thats for sure. Do you think you need a machine twice as big as yours? Check out Steamaction which has even bigger equipment. At some point you just ask yourself "How much bigger do I need?"

I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone buying one of those machines starting out. That is a lot of overhead to take on just starting out. Are you an established company? Have an account that requires something like that? Need additional capacity? O.K. then look at these machine but run the numbers. It takes more than a machine to run a business.

We have found that we can get results with any of the methods and machines we have tried. They all have pros and cons.

Tags:

B & S Truckmount

Started by George Barnett

Replies: 9
Views: 961
Last post September 14, 2009, 09:13:59 AM
by micky navarro

Advertise Here